Poets and artists published in Spectrum Online Edition: Last Hour are invited to read in the patio of Rosebud Coffee on 2302 E. Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena or at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, August 20th between 3 and 5 pm PDT.

Thursday, August 11, 2022

Robert Fleming


some things are for more than peeing
    


mamma won’t let me wear roller-skates outside the roller rink

daddy drives the family to the Orange Julep that

rises up from below ground like a turnip

the orange is above ground all summer until

the last autumn leaf blows the Julep below ground

the servers roll on roller-blades &

wear cut of shorts before

the Dukes of Hazzard named them Daisy Dukes

daddy glances at jean back pockets rolling our order in &

breaths in a Cuban cigar

i lick-stick orange Julep pulp through my middle years

until daddy’s bedside library opened with

Playboy take-outs &

i felt in my jeans what daddy’s eyes looked at at the Orange Julep





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thomas A Thomas

Jealous of the sun Will you forgive me, she asks. The sun was shining  and I hiked-up my skirt and opened my knees.