Poets and artists published in Spectrum Online Edition: Last Hour are invited to read in the patio of Rosebud Coffee on 2302 E. Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena or at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, August 20th between 3 and 5 pm PDT.

Thursday, August 11, 2022

Joe Grieco

Wound Care


Maybe you heard a familiar voice

Sounded just like one of your relatives talking

But really, it’s you talking


In Little Italy, on Mulberry Street, in old New York

Pushcarts haggling, rags for sale

Horse carts hawking olive oil, hey, get it from the barrel, bring your bottle


Zio Francesco, my Uncle Frank

Born before The Great War

On Mulberry Street, before my father and the other five kids


He sent us a big white couch when my father left for Vegas forever

I guess he thought we needed something to sit on

Our mother covered it in plastic that never came off


When he was dying 

He forgot to talk American, he only talked Italian

He didn’t know who I was, or anybody come to visit


But in his last hour, we spoke

From way back on Mulberry Street

Holding my hand from a bed with a plastic sheet that never came off


Spoke about pushcarts, and olive oil

About how grandpa came home drunk

Pulled grandma out of bed by her hair, and scared awake all the kids forever


Maybe sometimes there’s a cadence in my voice

That sounds just like Uncle Frank talking

But see, I don’t understand Italian


See, maybe in my last hour 

I’ll sit on a big white couch and hear what I’ve heard

Talk only in Italian, just like the kids on Mulberry Street 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thomas A Thomas

Jealous of the sun Will you forgive me, she asks. The sun was shining  and I hiked-up my skirt and opened my knees.