Poets and artists published in Spectrum Online Edition: Last Hour are invited to read in the patio of Rosebud Coffee on 2302 E. Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena or at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, August 20th between 3 and 5 pm PDT.

Saturday, August 13, 2022

Sutichai (Mr. Chai Tea) Savathasuk

Free Fallin’


I recall my most relaxed experience

was one where the air cradled me in suspense.

Falling wasn’t free, but it was worth the fee

to feel a minute turn from infinity to clarity.


Inside the cavity of the winged vessel, 

anticipation tensing up my muscles,

pulsating through wind’s circulation

as the metal bird’s valve bursted open.


Through the gateway to sky oceans

soaring with Tom Petty motions 

off the arms of a mechanical body

spurting me out of its artery.


10,000 feet above the ground, 

naked airs slip, my ears sound.

120 miles per hour, my body falls 

60 beats per minute, my EKG scrawls.


Soul reading at P(ea)Q R(e)ST.

Critical points of curve at lowest stress

where my body braved at the ready

with the whisked blows beating steady.


Strain release from my back drops

the nylon rainbow shoots, pops

my ears became a flat line

coming home, safely off cloud nine.


From the last I remembered peace

in my heart with tremors that ceased,

I fell through Nature’s breath to dive

as she reminded me that I am still alive.




Capturing the Moment


I used to scoff 

at all those pieces 

the poets and the songwriters wrote about.

 

I didn't get it

 

until I caught a glimpse, 

a fraction of that feeling, 

and I see now.

 

I felt it 

when you had 4 

of your fingers 

laced with 4 

of mine, 

 

how lucky I gotta be 

seeing you / wake up 

4 different times.

 

Walking away always with that 

derpy grin on my face,

following the moments after your embrace.

 

I hate that I 

can't explain 

why I love 

what you're doing to me. 

 

There's no logical reasoning behind it; 

it's not one feeling 

but a system 

of explosions inside.

 

Your image, so invasive.

Your smiles kill me softly.

Thoughts of you turn my belly to jelly.

Your name drops make me all giggly.

 

It's a grand mood to be hit by a pick-up truck

going 120 on the freeway. 

 

I see now how this feeling inspires so many 

people on this planet to write

about the same stuff repeatedly. 

 

Even the meaninglessness in this life 

was meaningful to me when you sat 

in my car beside me. 

 

You discomfitingly make me 

feel comfortable in your presence.

 

How someone named light contain darkness, 

but that doesn't make you any less 

than who you can be 

 

for I'll be there when you're surviving, 

I’ll be there when you're thriving, 

and I'll be grateful for 

this feeling to be undying.

 

And that's the beauty of being boundless 

when you were off the restlessness. 

 

I could write to infinity 

about that moment we laid endlessly.

 

Even when I bored you to sleep, 

it bored into my mind 

how deep I didn't mind 

my mind was awake alone; 

I dared not look at my phone 

to shatter this 

 

illusionary eternity looking at you.

 

And it didn’t matter how long I lasted. 

 

All I know 

without knowing the time 

at that moment... 

was timeless.

Your smile: priceless.

 

In that stasis, I made this whole thesis I've written 

that has me spittin' I'm still smitten by you.

 

You tell me to extrapolate off past data, 

but you assumed you were just another point.

You tell me you don't want a temporary, 

but you're fooling with an eternal.

You fell way past the regression line 

and dropped the R-value.

Mathematicians will tell you that's a bar, 

and I know you got value. 

Now you 

got me 

believing I ain't dreaming no more. 

 

For I see 

the sea of words above your head, 

 

so vast, 

 

it’d be forever to reel them in, 

fish each one out to give to you, 

 

but eternity's a time

I can spend 

to go through all of them 

with 

you.




Quarter


I hit quarter-life in January 2022,

but that’s a survivor’s saying.


They set the guideline that our hearts beat to 100.

What if I’ve already hit my mid-life 

or final moments?


I think about how much time I’ve left,

but that number can’t be measured

by the metric of age


as some people died

before they even lived.


We see all around how fickle life can be

when midwives sentenced newborns to mid-lives.

You heard of the 18-year old 

who spoke of conservation,

Now recall the ones 

who didn’t make it past 11.


My type’s independent of the month I was born.

Can’t determine me by the category of Capricorn

with no astrology to define my personality.


I’m an MLK and Benjamin sandwich

for the day I evacuated the womb.

As I earlied to bed, I had a dream

that I’d be healthy, wealthy, 

and late to the tomb.


We’re born to die, 

so give meaning to death.

Live on, give it all 

until your last breath.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thomas A Thomas

Jealous of the sun Will you forgive me, she asks. The sun was shining  and I hiked-up my skirt and opened my knees.