Poets and artists published in Spectrum Online Edition: Last Hour are invited to read in the patio of Rosebud Coffee on 2302 E. Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena or at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, August 20th between 3 and 5 pm PDT.

Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Scott Jacobson

We Only Have This Moment


I am a shooting star.

Don’t downgrade me by calling me a meteorite.

I have traveled eons through the dark cold

Vacuum of space to get here.

It is okay to wish upon me.

After all, I have been wishing

To meet you all of my existence.

I can feel my consciousness igniting.

We only have this moment.

Two stars separated by the atmosphere.

Have you ever fallen from heaven?

All of us are forced to come down to earth

Sooner or later, but only a few survive

To sing about the journey and eat ice cream.

I have a fever. 

I am afraid I will burn up

With all my unspent desires

Leaving a trail of light across your sky.

Reach your hand up to catch me

If you can.

If not, remember me

Long after I am gone.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thomas A Thomas

Jealous of the sun Will you forgive me, she asks. The sun was shining  and I hiked-up my skirt and opened my knees.