Poets and artists published in Spectrum Online Edition: Last Hour are invited to read in the patio of Rosebud Coffee on 2302 E. Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena or at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, August 20th between 3 and 5 pm PDT.

Saturday, August 13, 2022

Lori Wall-Holloway

Labor Journey


My granddaughter yells in pain 

as she grips the couch in hopes 

it will relieve her agony 

She cries out for her mom who 

keeps track of the contractions 


Her two young sisters try to ease

her distress with loving touches

One is behind and kneads 

her neck and back, while 

the other kneels below 

to rub her feet and legs


I watch the scene before me and ponder

if my grandmother had older Italian 

ladies surround her when she was in labor 

I wonder if they massaged contracting 

muscles in her lower spine or gave 

her sips of water to hydrate 

her before the urge came to push 

and she gave birth to my mother 

on the kitchen table


Zoe cries out again, shouting

“I need him to come out now!”

Not sure how things will progress

I quickly clean and sanitize

my dining room table, just in case

After the last hour of Zoe dealing 

with strong childbirth pains

my daughter decides it is time 


She takes her to the hospital

and leave us to wait for news


It is not until the next day 

the baby begins the last stretch

of his journey down the birth

canal when Zoe’s uterus pushes

a fifth generation out of his cocoon 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thomas A Thomas

Jealous of the sun Will you forgive me, she asks. The sun was shining  and I hiked-up my skirt and opened my knees.