Poets and artists published in Spectrum Online Edition: Last Hour are invited to read in the patio of Rosebud Coffee on 2302 E. Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena or at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, August 20th between 3 and 5 pm PDT.

Thursday, August 4, 2022

Jackie Chou

After Watching The Hate U Give


She shouted

what her dad told her

and her brothers

since she was nine

what to do–


Let them see your hands!

Don't argue!

Don't reach into

the glove compartment!


He didn't listen

reached over the seat

to grab his hairbrush

the last moment of his life

flashing past him


before the loud bangs

the shots in the chest

the spill of blood 

the hairbrush 

all he had in his hand


Was the kid very wise

for what he did 

at that pivotal moment?

Perhaps not

Did he deserve to die?

No


I don’t care if the kid

was an A student or not

if he ever dealt drugs

what he would have 

grown up to become


His death is a tragedy

a loss of precious life

an injustice which 

would not have occurred

had it not been 

for the color of his skin




The Last Hour


We were the cool Asians

mixing mini skirts and wine coolers

with chemical formulae

polysyllabic vocabulary 


Our differences were always there–

you and your solid-colored polo shirts

blue jeans

penchant for math and science


Me and my velvet hats

floral dresses

purple stockings and shoes

my forte arts and literature

 

Still, I waved my pom poms at you

addressed my speech to you

at graduation–

the last hour of our life together


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thomas A Thomas

Jealous of the sun Will you forgive me, she asks. The sun was shining  and I hiked-up my skirt and opened my knees.